Thursday, December 18, 2008

Location, Location, Location

As I looked into the beautiful blue eyes of my sick little two-year-old yesterday, I realized how lucky we really are. After a quick call on my cell phone, she'll be seen by our wonderful small-town doctor within half-an-hour (thanks, Dr. Sharma!)...she'll be prescribed some sort of medicine to help her recover from her [what we learned was an] ear infection. We'll drive through a pharmacy, back home with the small white prescription bag, where she'll not very willingly receive her medicine and begin recovering.

What if we lived in a condition of poverty, simply because we weren't fortunate enough to come from a family line rooted in a first-world country? Would I have to watch those baby blues fill with tears, then close as she becomes more ill, with no medical relief in sight? Would I helplessly witness a long and drawn out illness because of the lack of a simple prescription? First emotion--thankfulness; second emotion--responsibility to help those in the second boat...

No comments: