Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Had Myself a Merry Simple Christmas

What a great Christmas...my husband and I decided early on to set a budget for each of our five kids and get a few quality gifts. I usually tend to lean towards quantity, so they'll have more to open, so I was a little unsure with the approach, but generally felt okay about it. We also decided that rather than have the adults in the family exchange gifts, we'd have an experience together instead.
And so the experiment was set-
And so came Christmas-
And it was wonderful! The kids thoroughly enjoyed their gifts, and we all enjoyed our trip out of town together for Christmas and the day after. My six-year-old kept saying "This is the best Christmas ever!"
Why should I have doubted that simple would be better? Look at the first Christmas! Simply a young man and woman, in a plain stable, with some strangers looking in on them after the event. Simple, yet beautifully and historically and eternally epic!

No comments: