Saturday, March 24, 2012

One rainy October afternoon...

I was finishing my last semester of college, doing the student teaching portion of my coursework. One October day, they canceled school because of extremely heavy rains and flooding, which is pretty rare. I was enjoying the unexpected midweek break, probably cleaning the house or something, when my phone rang. The person on the other end asked to speak with Michelle Harrison, and I confirmed that I was she...then I heard words that had never been spoken to me before or since: "I found you through a private detective."

Woah! As my heart was racing, the lady calling explained that she had been chosen by her family as the one who should call me. Her sister-in-law had begun seeing and was planning to marry my ex-husband, and the things he was telling them sounded fishy. He was now going by his real name, and explained that I had a different last name because I changed my name after leaving him...suddenly....as he was at work...as a youth minister at our church...and I disappeared...with our sons! The family was concerned, so they hired a private investigator to verify the stories he was telling.

It was weird, but a relief, to explain the entire story to this lady. It was the first time I'd actually told the story to people who didn't know me, and her concern for her sister-in-law was so apparent that I really wanted to help them try to wake her up and help her avoid the mess I'd plowed right into! The girl's mom was especially frustrated and upset over the situation, and I told her my mom could really commiserate with her if she ever wanted to talk. She got my mom's name and number, and the young lady's mom called my mom a couple of times--I think it was cathartic for both of them.

The young lady did end up marrying 'Tim,' and they eventually ended up divorced, too. My sons found out years down the road that they have two half-sisters, and they've since been in communication, which I think is beneficial for all of them. Their mother and I have also spoken through Facebook, and it's been good for both of us! For the first time, we both could talk to someone who knew exactly what the other had been through. That's one of the motivations for me telling my tale...so that if anyone has been through similar pain and mistakes, they can feel understood and know they're not alone.

"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing." 1 Thessalonians 5:11

No comments: